The Kimmel Cultural Campus marks its reopening with Arts Launch 2021.
It’s hard to believe that it has been 18 months since the shutdown on the Kimmel Cultural Campus. Including the Kimmel Center and its multiple halls, Academy of Music, and the Merriam Theatre between them, the KCC has been closed due to the mess of the pandemic’s need for distance and safety. Thankfully, the spinning promotional light cube in the corner of the Kimmel, though, has remained bright and turning on its axis in anticipation of its return to the live stage with live, new audiences entering its halls.
Luckily, thankfully for artists, audiences and admins, there is a return to a full season of music, theater and dance coming shortly to all of the campus’ venues.
To celebrate truly being back-on-the-block, and live, on Saturday, September 18, from 11 a.m. until 4 p.m., the Kimmel Cultural Campus, in partnership with The Philadelphia Orchestra (another story entirely, as there is a new parent company, The Philadelphia Orchestra and Kimmel Center, Inc. with a new boss, Matías Tarnopolsky, President and CEO, at its helm) brings its co-brand to life.
That means Arts Launch 2021: a free, in-person, fest-like reopening celebration of all of the KCCs companies (such as Philadanco!) and its close associates with some 50 plus arts orgs from across the region joining in on the excitement. No seriously. Excitement.
And though, Arts Launch 2021 closes with a grand finale of the Philadelphia Orchestra making indoor fireworks on Broad Street, the entire morning and afternoon’s procession of artists and companies will be a thrill to behold with everyone from immediate neighborhood friends such as the Wilma Theatre and BalletX, and Opera Philadelphia to welcome guests such as Esperanza Academy Dance Ensemble, Hip Hop Fundamentals and ILL Doots joining in on the host of performance activity.
“Arts Launch 2021 is a wonderful opportunity to reimagine the power of the arts to bring joy, create community, and effect change,” writes Matías Tarnopolsky, President and CEO of The Philadelphia Orchestra and soon-to-be President and CEO of new parent company, The Philadelphia Orchestra and Kimmel Center, Inc. “The Philadelphia Orchestra is honored to conclude this exciting celebration, once again filling Verizon Hall with the glorious Philadelphia Sound. We look forward to sharing in this thrilling moment, reunited with audience members, as we look ahead to a bright future for the arts, together.”
· 10:15 – 10:50 a.m. – Penn Band marches and plays down Broad Street to Kimmel Center
· 11 a.m. – Hip Hop Fundamentals (Perelman Theater)
· 11:00 a.m. – The Philly POPS (Commonwealth Plaza Stage)
· 11:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. – Glitter & Gold (temporary) tattoos (Balcony Bar & Lounge – Tier 2)
· 11:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. – Penn Museum: The Stories We Wear Lounge (Come share your stories. Exhibit preview activity) (Balcony Bar & Lounge – Tier 2)
· 11:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. – Garces Balcony Bar open with DJ Kevin Ngo from Dance Republic (Music outdoors – Balcony Bar & Lounge – Tier 2)
· 11:20 a.m. – The Lady Hoofers Tap Ensemble (Perelman Theater)
· 11:30 a.m. – Laura Lizcano Quartet (Commonwealth Plaza Stage)
· 11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. – Dancing Classrooms Philly: Social Dance Workshop (15 min. workshops in Rendell Room on Tier 1)
· 11:40 a.m. – International Ballet Exchange (Perelman Theater)
· 12:00 p.m. – Hip Hop Fundamentals (Perelman Theater)
· 12:00 p.m. – Leopold Stokowski Historical Marker Dedication. More information here. (Academy of Music)
· 12:10 p.m. – Opera Philadelphia (Commonwealth Plaza Stage)
· 12:30 p.m. – Kung-Yang Lin/Dancers (KYL/D) (Perelman Theater)
· 12:40 p.m. – Commonwealth Youthchoirs (Commonwealth Plaza Stage)
· 12:45 p.m. – Toho Publishing: Poetry readings (70 minutes/10 poets – in Rendell Room on Tier 1)
· 12:50 p.m. – BalletX (Perelman Theater)
· 1:00 p.m. – Musicopia: Arrastao Ensemble (Commonwealth Plaza Stage)
· 1:15 p.m. – ILL Doots (Commonwealth Plaza Stage)
· 1:25 p.m. – Esperanza Academy Dance Ensemble (Perelman Theater)
· 1:45 p.m. – PHILADANCO! (The Philadelphia Dance Company) (Perelman Theater)
· 2:05 p.m. – Philadelphia Ballet (Perelman Theater)
· 2:10 p.m. – Opera on Tap Philadelphia (Commonwealth Plaza Stage)
· 2:25 p.m. – Usiloquy Dance Designs (Perelman Theater)
· 2:35 p.m. – Kimmel Cultural Campus ShowStoppers: Hamiltunes (Commonwealth Plaza Stage)
· 2:45 p.m. – The Movement Performing Arts Conservatory (Perelman Theater)
· 3:00 p.m. – The Philadelphia Orchestra (Verizon Hall)