On November 19th at 7:00 pm, Chef Nic Elmi will hold one seating for guests to come and experience the Fall chapter of his book, Laurel: Modern American Flavors in Philadelphia.
Only 22 guests. That’s the number of attendees who can join Chef Nick Elmi, Philly’s own Top Chef, for a meal at his East Passyunk Avenue boite, Laurel, where his entire menu consists of “cooking the book.”
No, Elmi’s not screwing with evil accounting practices or tax cheating. His recently released cookbook, based in the restaurant he calls his home base – “Laurel: Modern American Flavors in Philadelphia” co-written by Adam Erace, photographed by Neal Santos and published by Running Press – is divided into four seasons, each reflecting a nine-course tasting menu with a cocktail pairing.
On November 19th at 7:00 pm, Elmi will hold one seating for guests to come and experience the book’s Fall chapter. For $225 per person, you get a nine-course tasting menu, the signature cocktail of the season, The Drunken Farmer, and a signed copy of the cookbook. Additional wine pairings will be available.
“I feel like it’s a great idea for people who have bought the book, or would like to buy the book, to visualize and taste what these recipes are and mean to me and Laurel,” Elmi told me. “We are going to slowly do this throughout the year as the book is broken up into different seasons. It gives us the opportunity to do three more dinners.”
For fans of the “Laurel” cookbook and writing process, Elmi stated that “We’re going to keep as close to the book as possible. Obviously, seasons and times change, and we’ll be prepared as we get closer to the date, but I’m excited to work on recipes we haven’t done at Laurel for a while.”
Here’s the menu:
• Apple-Yuzu Consommé, Marinated Trout Roe, Bitter Greens
• Albacore Crudo, Horseradish Snow, Pears
• Sea Urchin, Creamed Corn, Sunflower-Truffle Vinaigrette
• Frozen Foie Gras Tarte, Elderberry Vinegar, Black Raspberry, Hibiscus
• Burgundy Snails, Onion, Mushroom, Potato Chips
• Grilled Mackarel, Black Tuile, Smoked-Mackerel Dashi
• Burnt-Sugar Salisfy, Cured Lamb, Black Trumpets, Watercress
• Duck Breast, Caramelized Sunchoke, Blackberry, Chicory Crumble
• Roasted Apple. Caramel-Coffee Cream, Black Walnut, Apple Wine
Reservations can be made by calling the restaurant (215) 271-8299.